Thurgood Marshall United States Courthouse
by traveller · · New York, United States · day · 616 views
The Thurgood Marshall United States Courthouse (originally the United States Courthouse or the Foley Square Courthouse) is a 37-story courthouse at 40 Centre Street on Foley Square in the Civic Center neighborhood of Lower Manhattan in New York City, United States. Opened in 1936, the building was designed by Cass Gilbert and his son, Cass Gilbert Jr., in the Classical Revival style. The United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit and the United States District Court for the Southern District of New York hear cases in the courthouse, which is across the street from the Metropolitan Correctional Center, New York City. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and is a New York City designated landmark.
Labels on this photo
-
Thurgood Marshall United States Courthouse
Name:: Thurgood Marshall United States Courthouse · Building type: (e.g.: lighthouse): courthouse · Designer/Architect:: Cass Gilbert, Cass Gilbert Jr. · Built year:: 1936 · Architectural style:: Classical Revival As early as 1930, the architectural firm of McKim, Mead & White had drawn up designs for a federal courthouse at Centre and Pearl Streets, replacing the New York City Board of Health building. Architect Cass Gilbert was commissioned to… As early as 1930, the architectural firm of McKim, Mead & White had drawn up designs for a federal courthouse at Centre and Pearl Streets, replacing the New York City Board of Health building. Architect Cass Gilbert was commissioned to design a new federal courthouse at Foley Square, and Gilbert submitted plans for the courthouse to the Treasury Department in February 1932. The 38-story building, composed of a 7-story base and 31-story tower, would contain all offices for the United States District Court for the Southern District of New York. In June 1932, the federal government acquired the Health Department Building from the government of New York City, selling the City Hall Post Office to the city. In addition, the city and the St. Andrew Church swapped two land parcels, since the church owned some property that was to be part of the courthouse
Location on the map
Advertisement
Ad space (728×90)
Similar photos























